Sunday, October 10, 2010

Home is where you hang your head

Ok- first, my apologies for leaving you hanging. Things suddenly got very crazy around here.

Next, please indulge me for a minute and allow me to go back in time.

After we lost the bidding war on house number 1, I took a step back and created a plan. I figured we were in the hunt for the long haul and wanted to be sure I didn't jump at a house for house sake. I wanted to know I had a list to check back against. I can be a little impulsive and wanted to know I was jumping into the house we wanted, not just the house that was available.

This is sound practice I have used more than once and it has served me well.

The list does two things. It makes you come to terms with what you can't live without, what's a 'nice to have', the things that are little perks and the things that don't matter much.

It also means your agent can act as a voice of reason when you 'fall hard' for something that doesn't really meet your needs.

Now I strongly believe that the list can be tossed by the way side for love...but generally that ends in a For Sale sign on your lawn a few years earlier than you expected.

Eh -hem. Like now. On our lawn for example.

Just so you can follow along at home, here's our list...

Must Haves

• 3 bedrooms

• 2 bathrooms

• Finished basement

• Grassy backyard

• Deck or patio area

• Living room 10+ feet

• Parking - would consider street parking but only if pressed

• Storage space of some kind

• If renovated kitchen, ample cupboard space and lots of counter space (island preferred)

• Front entry way with room to remove shoes etc with coat hook area or closet

• Big renos like electrical, plumbing, windows, roof and basement already completed

• A small percentage of brown/beige 'unchangeable without great cost' tile

• Hardwood ( pee pee cats)

Nice to Haves

• Laundry sink

• Painted wood

• Modern design touches

• Big closets

• Ensuite

• Garage

• Ability to use some basement space for office

• A nod to character (original glass or floor) without character with a capital C

• Gas BBQ

• Eat in kitchen

• Walk in shower

• Front porch

• Fireplace

Not interested in

• Big basement Reno

• Serious construction issues

• Multiple bathroom renos

• Ripping out expensive landscaping for grass

• Being attached on both sides

Willing to take on

• Cosmetic changes (lighting, paint, some flooring if necessary)

• Some spacial re-org of finished basement ie it's currently 4th bedroom and office - create big open play area with office in corner

• Small Landscaping of deck, patio or play area, fencing. Nothing major.

• Full Kitchen if it's the only project and the price allows for it. (think granite, ikea cabinets, pot and overhead lighting, backsplash, structure if necessary, sink and faucet, appliances- 30 - 45000?

• Front of house spruce up as a longer term project if necessary


I mentioned in our last post that we put in an offer. Didn't I already say I was impulsive?


Stay tuned to hear how this house measures up...

No comments:

Post a Comment